- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- In a heavy medium saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt butter.
- Remove pan from heat & add sugar, lemon juice, zest & salt, whisking to blend. Finally, whisk in yolks until smooth.
- Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it thickens & leaves a path on the back of a wooden spoon when a finger is drawn across it ~ DO NOT ALLOW THE MIXTURE TO BOIL.
- Immediately pour the lemon curd through a strainer into a bowl, then let it cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally.
- Cover & refrigerate until ready to serve ~ It will keep in the frig for a month & in the freezer for about three times that long!
- Serve it with satisfaction on toast or scones, in tarts or as a topping for fresh fruit, gingerbread, pound cake, cheesecake or . . . !