- 1/3 cup hazelnuts
- 2 cups extra-old cheddar cheese, diced and at room temperature (10 oz/300 g)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons scotch whisky or 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- On small rimmed baking sheet, toast hazelnuts in 350°F (180°C) oven until golden and fragrant, about 6 minutes. Let cool; coarsely chop.
- In food processor, combine cheese, butter, whisky, mustard and pepper until smooth.
- Pulse in 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the hazelnuts just until mixed.
- Scrape into bowl; sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts.
- (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.).