- 1/2 teaspoon saffron (include threads, if you have them)
- 1/2 cup hot water (for dissolving saffron)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- Put 1/2 cup water in a 1 cup glass measuring cup and heat.
- Remove and add saffron, set aside.
- Put rice, onion and salt into a glass 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Put 1 cup water and the 1/2 stick of butter into a 2 cup glass measuring cup, and heat in microwave. (do not boil).
- Add dissolved saffron and water with melted butter to casserole. Stir.
- Place (uncovered) in a preheated 450°F oven.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring at the end of 10 minutes. Rice should be very dry.
- When rice is very dry, stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups of hot water.
- Cover, and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork, garnish, and serve.