- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 4 -5 firm pears, peeled with stalks attached
- 1 cup fresh whipped cream
- Combine the water, red wine, lemon juice, sugar and spices in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Place the pears in an ovenproof dish and pour the syrup over them.
- Poach at 150°C (300°F) for 20 - 25 minutes or until tender.
- Pour a small amount of the syrup in the bottom of dessert dishes and place the pears on top.
- Serve with whipped cream.