- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (1 t baking soda plus 2 t cream of tartar for richer version)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (or 1 c yogurt plus 1/4 c milk for richer version)
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted (or 2 T canola oil)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease an 8" square baking dish.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Combine wet ingredients and gently mix into dry mixture.
- Spoon into baking dish and bake 20 minutes.