- 1/4 ounce dry active yeast (1 packet)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 1/2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast, warm water, and sugar in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine hot water, granulated sugar, salt, and oil. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour to the mixture in the large bowl/mixer and mix well. Stir in yeast mixture.
- Add 1 – 1 1/2 cups more flour and mix until well blended. (At this point your dough will still be quite sticky). Leave in bowl and let rise for 1 hour, mixing a few strokes a couple of times during the hour.
- Divide dough into 2 (or 3 if you want smaller loaves) pieces. Roll out each piece on a floured surface into the length desired then roll up length wise like a jelly roll.
- Put on a greased cookie sheet, sealed side down, and tuck the ends under. Slash the top diagonally across the top every couple of inches with a sharp knife. Brush with egg white. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Let loaves rise 30 more minutes.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.