- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained,with one cup of liquid reserves
- 28 ounces canned vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (or less if desired)
- Heat oil, add onion, garlic and thyme.
- Sauté about 8 minutes or until onion is golden.
- Add beans, bean liquid, broth, tomatoes, and hot pepper sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes until soup thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup in blender in 2 batches.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.