- 2 quarts milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- In a saucepan, combine 1 quart of the milk with the sugar and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture turns golden.
- In the remaining quart of milk, stir in the soda and place in another saucepan.
- Add the cinnamon stick and bring to boil.
- Discard the cinnamon and add the hot milk very gradually to the caramel mixture, stirring constantly.
- When all the milk is incorporated, place over a low heat and cook very slowly until the mixture is thick like melted caramel.
- Cool slightly; then pour into a glass container and chill.
- Please note that the cooking times and yield are approximate.