Looking for a savoury recipe? Check this One-Pot Vegan Bolognese recipe 🤗
- 1/4 cup raw cashew, soaked in hot water for 30mins or until softened
- 1/4 cup water
Blend together until smooth, set aside.
Bolognese (makes 5-6 servings)🍅
- olive oil for cooking
- 1 white onion, chopped finely
- 60g carrot, peeled & chopped finely
- 50g celery, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup red wine, optional
- 400g mushrooms, minced (I used shiitake and king oyster mushrooms)
- 1 can whole plum tomato
- 1 can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cashew cream/vegan whipping cream
- Pasta of choice
1. In a pot, add olive oil, onion, celery and carrot. Saute for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and softened over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until they shrink and fragrant.
2. Add red wine and stir. Bring it to simmer and let cook for 1 minute.
3. Add tomato paste and stir until the colour turns dark. Add canned tomato, water and oregano, stir to combine. Bring it to simmering, put the lid on and let it cook for 30-40 minutes until everything is nicely combined and the sauce is creamy and thick. Stir occasionally to prevent the bottom burn.
4. Add cashew cream, salt, black pepper, nutritional yeast, soy sauce and sugar. Stir to combine. Adjust the seasoning accordingly.
5. You can serve this with your favourite pasta right away or bake with cheese like what I did in the photo ⤵️
Cheesy Baked Pasta 🧀
I used a combo of 100g of @myplantdeli vegan cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Lay the first layer of the dish with pasta and spread my bolognese sauce evenly then sprinkle the vegan cheese on top. Bake it in a preheated oven for 15 minutes over 230c.
The cheese didnt melt but the flavour is bomb! Love it. My non-vegan family loves it so much we made second batch right after that.