Buka puasa meal. I presented flavours from all over the world:
JAPAN: Cold Brewed Green Tea
BALI: Assorted Raw Vegan Chocolates
Diyana was a princess from Persia and brought along some black rubies of BAM - soft, pillowy, gooey and absolutely my kind of date.
After making this for the third time, I'm brave enough to share my recipe with you. This is based on the memories of the paella I had in 2009 during my trip to Barcelona.
RECIPE : Vegan Paella (cooked) by #RawChefYin
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- smoked paprika to taste
- red chilli flakes to taste
- lemon zest
- 1 cup of dried chickpeas, soaked for 8 hours and drained
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- ½ teaspoon Simply Natural’s Organic Coarse Cut Lakadong Turmeric from @zenxinorganicfoodkl
- 400ml filtered water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons organic soy sauce delivered to me by @everleafstoremy
- 3 big tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 punnet of button mushrooms, halved
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 small packet of sweet peas
- chives, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- salt to taste
1. Saute onion and garlic in a cast iron pan with water until onions turn translucent.
2. Add smoked paprika, chilli flakes, lemon zest and chickpeas. Cook for five minutes.
3. While waiting for chickpeas to be cooked, heat up water and add turmeric and saffron into water and stir till turmeric is dissolved. Flavour with nutritional yeast and soy sauce. (I use this instead of veggie stock but feel free to use vegetable stock instead.)
4. Add this into the pan together with chopped tomatoes and rice. Add mushrooms and bell peppers. Bring liquid to a boil and then simmer until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid. (I added the peas ten minutes after simmering.)
5. Season with salt if needed. Garnish with chives. Place lemons on top and serve.
Note: You can omit the garlic & onion if you don't eat it.