Ok so this is me attempting to veganise the Gulai Ikan Tongkol from the Thermomix Cookbook. So instructions are for the Thermomix.
I’d use WAYYYY LESS chillies next time. I took one look and knew it would be too spicy BUT I wanted to stick to the recipe and see if it works.
Ah well, now I know.
Anyways, the video on me making it is up on Facebook live and my YouTube Channel.
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
15 g dried red chillies, deseeded, soaked to soften
50 g shallots - I used onions
4 garlic cloves - I didn’t have this so I used garlic powder
15 g fresh ginger - I used ginger juice from Doku & My Blue Tea
15 g fresh galangal
15 g fish curry powder
470 g water
60 g cooking oil - I used water, should have used 70g
12 red bird’s eye chillies
1 tsp salt
50 g coconut milk - needs more? Perhaps 100g thick coconut milk
1 dried tamarind piece or 20 g tamarind paste - I used tamarind pulp from pods
10 g palm sugar - I used Masarang Arenga Forest Sugar and then added more Organicule date powder
Assorted mushrooms - Split gill mushroom, shiitake mushroom, swiss brown mushrooms
1. Place coriander seeds, fennel seeds and cumin seeds into mixing bowl, blend 1 min/speed 10 into powder.
2. Add dried chillies, shallots, garlic cloves, ginger, galangal, fish curry powder and 20 g water, blend 30 sec/speed 10. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
4. Add water, bird‘s eye chillies and 1⁄2 tsp salt, sauté 4 min/120°C/speed 1.
5. Add coconut milk, 450 g water, tamarind, 1⁄2 tsp salt and palm sugar, boil 4 min/100°C/speed 1.
6. Add mushrooms, cook 2 min/Varoma/ reverse speed. Let it stand for 2 minutes before serving.