- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can italian plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 1 1/2 lbs small fresh plum tomatoes, about 12
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- For sauce made with canned tomatoes:.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat the oil and add canned chopped tomatoes with their juices.
- Stir in the sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, and oregano and bring to high simmer.
- Cover partially and cook over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes; occasionally mash the tomatoes into the cooking juices.
- For sauce made with fresh tomatoes:.
- Place tomatoes in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them. Allow to stand until skins come off easily, about 10 minutes (plum tomatoes have thick skins).
- Using same ingredients as above, cook tomatoes, cover the pot tightly and simmer for 45 minutes. Fresh tomatoes take longer to cook than canned ones.
- Occasionally, remove the lid and allow the condensation to drip back into the sauce.
- With a wooden spoon, mash the tomatoes.