- 8 cups elderberries
- 4 cups white wine vinegar
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- Rinse elderberries and pick out dirt, stems or dried out berries.
- Place berries in large bowl and mash them.
- Pour vinegar over and allow to stand 24 - 36 hours, covered with a clean tea towel or cheesecloth.
- Strain through cheesecloth. Allow to drain slowly for up to 24 hours (if you press on the fruit while it is draining the vinegar will be cloudy).
- Pour juice into a non-reactive stockpot or preserving pan (a stainless steel saucepan will do). Stir in the sugar, bring to a boil, adjust heat, simmer for about 15 minutes. Watch carefully as juice reaches the boiling point - it can boil over very quickly!
- Let cool slightly, pour into clean bottles with corks, label and store in a dark, cool place.