- 1/2 cup small dried red beans (or 1 can small red beans)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 lbs yams, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups vegetable stock or 3 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes, diced or 1 (14 ounce) can diced low-sodium tomatoes
- 1 -3 jalapeno pepper, minced (adjust this to your preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- The night before you plan to make this stew, soak beans in water to cover. (Skip this step if using canned beans).
- To assemble the stew in your crock pot, combine onion, bell peppers, garlic, ginger, yams, stock, tomatoes, jalapenos, salt, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and black pepper. Stir till well combined. Add the beans after they've soaked overnight. Give it a good stir before you set it cooking.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, till the yams and beans are tender.
- Before serving, ladle a little of the juices into a bowl; mix in peanut butter and stir till well combined. Return peanut butter mixture to crock and stir till well combined.
- Top each serving with 1/2 T. dry roasted peanuts and a squeeze of lime juice.