- 4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup low-fat cream cheese
- Basil leaves , thinly sliced as an garnish (optional)
- Bring tomato and juice to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Place tomato mixture and basil leaves in blender and puree until smooth. Return to pot and stir in milk, salt and pepper. Add cream cheese, stirring well with a whisk, and cook until thick.
- Remaining soup may be refrigerated in a tightly sealed container for up to 1 week.