- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red food coloring (optional)
- Place egg whites in a medium mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Line two large cookie sheets with brown paper or foil, set aside.
- Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form (tips stand straight) and sugar dissolves. Quickly beat in peppermint extract. Tint pink with several drops of red food coloring, if desired.
- Using a pastry tube with a large star decorating tip, pipe cookies onto prepared cookie sheets (form cookies about 1-1/2 inches in diameter).
- Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and let cookies dry in oven with door closed about 30 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheets.
- Cover and store in a dry place. Makes 45 cookies.