- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups butter or 1 1/4 cups margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, eggs, and sour cream. Beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until blended.
- Combine 1 cup butter and water, lemon rind, lemon juice and lemon extract in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add to flour mixture, stirring well. Pour into a greased and floured 15 x 10 x 1 inch jellyroll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp of butter, milk and 1 tsp lemon extract in saucepna; bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Gradually add powdered sugar, stirring until mixture is spreading consistency. Spread frosting on top of cake. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.