- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened (original recipe called for low-fat margarine but I prefer butter for baking. Your choice.)
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 3 -4 shredded wheat biscuits, crumbled to make 3/4 cup
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins (or chopped dried apricots)
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly coat 6 muffin tin cups with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk, egg white, honey, butter or margarine and applesauce.
- In a medium bowl, combine crumbled cereal, flours, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the liquid ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Add the raisins & stir gently.
- Spoon into muffin cups, 3/4 full or more.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they test done. Don't overbake.