- 1 cup water
- 3 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast (or 3 5/8 oz fresh yeast cakes)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour, unsifted
- 2 cups butter, melted
- 3 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Combine water, yeast and sugar in large mixing bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add butter to cooling milk to soften.
- When cool, add milk mixture to yeast mixture and stir well.
- Add eggs and salt and stir again.
- Add all-purpose flour; mix well.
- Add raisins.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of the whole wheat pastry flour.
- Mix until dough is quite sticky and begins to leave sides of bowl.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of remaining whole wheat pastry flour onto board.
- Knead dough about 10 minutes until dough is smooth, adding more flour if needed. (Dough should still be soft and almost sticky.)
- Shape dough into a ball and place in large greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover with damp towel and let rise until double in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- Turn dough onto large floured board.
- Roll out into a 24 x 20-inch rectangle. (Dough will be thin).
- Filling: Mix together melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Spread entire rectangle of dough with mixture.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Roll rectangle tightly from long side.
- Make sure you end with seam side on bottom.
- Shape with hands to make uniform in size from end to end.
- With very sharp knife (or a long piece of dental floss) cut roll into 16 equal slices.
- Place side by side in two well greased 13 x 9 x 3-inch metal baking pans.
- Cover with warm, damp towel and let rise in warm place for 30 to 40 minutes until almost doubled in size.
- Bake at 350°F until nicely browned and filling is bubbly, about 35 minutes.
- When you remove from oven, invert onto serving platter or baking sheet to allow syrup to drip from pan onto rolls.