［Recipe］Sweet & Sour Mushrooms 咕噜菇 🍄
A recipe from my YouTube that I made with tempeh last time. Tempeh is great but hericium mushrooms are nice too! Give this recipe a try 🥺💞
Recipe Video: https://www.facebook.com/100063501583683/videos/pcb.373233011470082/377083534245774
1/2 green bell pepper, deseed & chopped
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/2 cup pineapple cubes , fresh or canned, drained well
oil for cooking
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
1/4 cup pineapple water from the can
4tbsp tbsp cane sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
200g frozen hericium mushrooms, defrost
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
a few dash of mushroom seasoning powder, optional
1/3 cup water, more if needed
oil for deep frying
1. In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, pineapple water, vinegar, cane sugar and salt. In another small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and seasoning powder. Add water gradually and stir well until you get a thick batter.
3. Blanch the hericium in boiling water for 5 minutes to remove excess oil. Drain and let cool down. Squeeze the excess water and tear into bite-sized pieces.
4. Heat up 3-4 inches deep of oil in a wok to about 180-190c. Or bubbling with you drop the batter.
5. Coat the mushroom one by one and add into the oil to fry. Work in batches and fry until they are light golden brown and remove them from the oil. Set aside to drain off excess oil.
6. Bring the heat to high and double fry the mushrooms until golden browned. Shake off the excess oil and set aside. This process is fast so keep an eye on them.
7. Preheat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Add bell pepper and quick sauté for 30 seconds over high heat. Add the tomato and pineapple cubes and saute for another 30 minutes.
8. Make a well in the center. Add the sauce and bring it to simmering. Add cornstarch solution and let the sauce thicken up
9. Add the fried mushrooms to the sauce. Toss everything quickly to combine. Enjoy immediately while the mushrooms are crispy!
*If you’re using fresh pineapple in this recipe, you may use the juice of it in replace of the pineapple syrup water from the cane.
*You may use water instead of the pineapple syrup water, just increase your sugar to 1/4 cup.