[RECIPE] Vegan Nestum Prawn/Cereal Butter Prawn Copycat 🍤🍤🍤
A classic dish to order at Chinese restaurants 😋 I hope you enjoy I recipe!
100g Oyster mushrooms
1 tbsp vegan butter (I used sunflower spread)
1 tbsp vegetable oil, for stir fry
1/4 cup loosely packed curry leaves
2 red chilli, chopped (adjust according to your preferred spiciness)
1/3 cup cereal (I used Nestum original which is vegan-friendly)
1/8 tsp salt and a pinch of sugar, mix in the cereal
Frying oil (Fill up the pot with vegetable oil to about 2 inches deep for frying)
50g corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 white pepper
1/8 mushroom powder
1 tbsp baking powder
110g cold water
1. Tear the oyster mushrooms into bite sized pieces.
2. In a large bowl, combine [Batter] ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a deep frying pan, fill up to 2 inches deep with vegetable oil and preheat over medium heat.
4. Add a few drops of batter to see the oil is hot enough. The batter should be bubbling immediately. Do not overheat the oil to avoid splattering.
5. Dip the mushrooms into the batter and shake off the excess batter.
6. Fry until golden browned. Work in a few batches to avoid crowding the pan. Drain excess oil and set aside. Repeat until all mushrooms are used up.
7. In a non-stick pan, add butter, vegetable oil, chili and curry leaves. Cook over low heat to infused the curry leaves flavour.
8. Add fried mushrooms and the cereal mix. Toss quickly to combine.
9. Lastly, remove from heat. Serve and enjoy!