Raw Vegan Spanakopita - Attempt No. 1 (Gluten-free and Oil-free) 🙌
The great thing about vegan festivals is that you get to meet so many vegan chefs and be inspired by them. I really enjoyed @zaccharybird's demo on Spanakopita (haven't had any since I turned vegan) and wanted to try to see if I could make a raw vegan version.
There are 2 recipes online and I used that as a reference to make this one below. It turned out yummy altho it doesn't have any of the crispiness of the real filo pastry.
Be sure to check out Zac's website for the original recipe. Thanks Zac and @perthveganexpo for the inspiration! I may try attempt number 2 with a coconut wrap or a zucchini wrap instead when I can find the time 😁
2 cups activated walnuts
2 dates, pitted
1 teaspoon salt
Dried dill (fresh is better but I only had dried with me)
1 teaspoon organic salt
Pinch nutmeg powder
1 bunch of spinach (200gm), chopped
Raw vegan cashew cheese ➡️➡️ I teach this at my cheese classes, both group and 1-on-1 private sessions. DM for details
For the crust (this is supposed to be the filo pastry):
1. Process walnuts in food processor till flour-like consistency. Add dates and salt, process further till well combined and it sticks when pressed together.
2. Divide mixture into half. Roll out mixture into a flat crust and place onto baking pan or container of your choice. I placed mine in my bento box actually.
3. Place chopped spinach onto the crust.
4. Add on blobs of cheese onto the spinach and layer them accordingly. This way when you slice through you’ll see the bits of cheese sandwiched between the spinach.
5. Sprinkle on dill and nutmeg powder on top of the spinach and cheese.
6. Take the remaining crust mixture, roll it out flat and cover the rest of your pie.
7. Dehydrate at 42-45 degrees Celsius in a food dehydrator till desired texture. I dehydrated mine in my @excaliburdehydrator for 8 hours, and halfway through removed the spanakopita from the pan so that it could dehydrate better.
8. Slice and plate and enjoy! (oh yah, squeeze some lemon juice on top before serving)