- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk (she uses 2%)
- Mix ingredients well.
- Boil until it forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water.
- Remove from heat, set pan in cold water until cool.
- Beat until creamy and flavour as desired.
- Add a bit of butter (or Mrs. Hopper sometimes uses margarine-a piece about the size of a walnut).
- Pour mixture in an 11 x 7 inch pan and cut in squares.
- You may add any of the following for a variation: 3/4 cup peanuts, maple flavouring with chopped walnuts, rum flavouring with cut up raisins (she uses the seedless variety) or 3/4 cup peanut butter.