- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- Sift flour into large bowl.
- Add shortening and rub with fingertips until consistency of coarse meal.
- Dissolve salt in warm water and add to flour in steady stream, using fingertips to blend.
- Knead in bowl until dough forms ball.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead about 3 mins; dough will not be smooth.
- Cover with a towel and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Knead dough on work surface about 1 minute.
- Cover and let rest at room temp for 10 minutes.
- Pinch off dough in 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Roll on lightly floured surface into 7-inch circle (roll outward from center but do not get edges too thin).
- Stack between pieces of wax paper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over med-high heat.
- Cook tortilla, turning occasionally until light brown spots appear on the surface, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer tortillas to a plate and cover with cloth napkin or towel to keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Just before serving, wrap tortillas in foil and reheat in a 250 degree oven or steamer about 5 mins.