- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups plain flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter (or margarine) and sugar. This works well with a mixer, but you can do it by hand.
- After creaming, switch to a spoon for mixing. Brownies tend to get tough if worked too much. Add the vanilla and eggs and mix just until smooth.
- Pour in cocoa powder and flour. Again, mix until smooth and lumps are broken up, but don't overmix or work the batter too much.
- At this point, if you want to add extras such as nuts, raisins, or chocolate pieces, just fold those in easily.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes in 2 pans size 8 inches by 8 inches. You can use a larger pan like the 9 x 9 and cook for a little longer, 25 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. If you use a single pan, then the Scratch Brownies are thicker.