- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped (size depending on how hot you like it)
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 cups sodium-free vegetable broth or 2 cups bean stock
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped or 1 1/2 cups use canned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Soften the onions, garlic and pepper in water for 5-10 minutes. Prepare other ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients except salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, mostly covered, 10-15 minutes.
- In 2 batches, puree the soup in a food processor until creamy(haven't tried the blender, though that would probably work too). Add salt to taste, if desired.
- Return to pot and keep over low heat until ready to serve.