- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces,plus
- Additional butter, for the pan
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 16 small chocolate-covered caramel candies or 16 pieces rolo chocolates, halved
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Line an 8-by-8-by-2-inch baking pan with parchment paper or heavy aluminum foil, making sure the paper or foil extends beyond the edges of the pan; lightly butter the paper or foil.
- In a heatproof container set over, but not touching, a saucepan of barely simmering water, heat the butter and chocolate, stirring constantly, until the mixture is melted and smooth; remove from the heat; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy and lightened in color, about 1 minute; add the vanilla and mix until combined; add the chocolate mixture and mix just until incorporated; add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated; the batter should be smooth; using a spatula, fold in the chocolate-covered caramel pieces; spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs; transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely; using a small knife, loosen the sides of the brownies from the pan; carefully lift the paper and the whole uncut brownie in 1 piece from the pan; remove and discard the paper; cut the brownie into whatever size you see fit to indulge inches.