- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger , finely chopped
- 100 g butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup golden syrup or 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 160C, and line a tray with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and ground ginger into a large bowl. Add the crystallised ginger.
- Melt the butter, sugar and golden/maple syrup in a saucepan on medium heat, or in the microwave in 30 second bursts, mixing in between. Allow the mixture to come to the boil.
- Add melted butter, sugar and syrup to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Roll 1 tbs of the mixture at a time into balls, then flatten slightly and place on the tray.
- Brush each biscuit with a small amount of water on a pastry brush, and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Place tray in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack, though I think these taste best when still warm!