- 4 eggs , slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups milk , scalded
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 9 inches unbaked pie shells
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scald milk (I use 1 cup half and half mixed with 1-1/2 cups whole milk). Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl slightly beat eggs, blend in sugar, salt, vanilla and almond extract.
- Gradually stir in scalded milk. Do not overbeat as this will create an unwanted foam. Pour into prepared pie shell and lightly sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg over the top.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted in center of pie comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool 30-60 minutes before slicing and serving.