- 1 cup dried split green peas
- 1 cup dried split yellow peas
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 8 cups water
- 3 -4 bay leaves
- 2 medium leeks
- 1 large carrot
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash and pick over the peas and lentils and cook them in 8 cups of water with the bay leaves until the peas are mushy and the lentils are cooked.
- Meanwhile, trim, chop, and wash the leeks.
- Peel and grate the carrot.
- Saute them until soft in 1 tbsp of the oil, and add them to the soup.
- Chop the celery and the cabbage.
- Saute them together in the remaining vegetable oil until limp.
- Add them to the soup with the tomatos and add salt to taste.
- Simmer to blend.
- Heat up and serve the next day.