- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 4 ounces thinly sliced mushrooms , preferably a wild variety such as portabello
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 canned chipotle chiles , minced
- 2 -3 teaspoons adobo sauce (from the chiles)
- Vegetable oil , for frying
- 8 corn tortillas
- 6 -8 ounces monterey jack cheese , shredded
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Salsa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275.
- In a small skillet, warm the tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in the corn, mushrooms and salt and chipotles and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, till the vegetables are cooked through.
- On a griddle or in a large, heavy skillet, warm just enough oil to coat the surface, over medium heat.
- Cover the first tortilla with about one quarter of the vegetable mixture, a similar amount of cheese and 1 or 2 t cilantro.
- Top with a second tortilla.
- Transfer the quesadilla to the skillet and cook till the cheese is melted and the tortillas are lightly browned and chewy-crispy, about a minute per side.
- Drain, place the tortilla on a heat proof plate in the oven to keep warm.
- Repeat the assembly and cooking process with the remaining tortillas and filling, adding as many to the skillet as will fit comfortably at one time.
- Slice the quesadillas into wedges and serve hot, with salsa if desired.