- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and grease a baking sheet.
- Stir together the flour and the salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the milk and water. Stir until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a round loaf 8 inches across. Place the loaf onto the prepared pan and using a sharp knife, cut a cross in the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes. The loaf should be golden brown and the bottom should sound hollow when tapped.