- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, plus
- 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepot, melt the butter and add the oats.
- Stir for 2 minutes to toast.
- Add the boiling water and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Keep at a low simmer for 25 minutes, without stirring.
- Combine the milk and half of the buttermilk with the oatmeal.
- Stir gently to combine and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and top with remaining buttermilk, brown sugar, and cinnamon.