- 1 (3 ounce) can flaked coconut, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Sprinkle 2 tbs coconut on a baking sheet; reserve remaining coconut. Bake at 350 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly toasted. Set toasted coconut aside.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, cornstarch, and dash of salt in a large saucepan. Add untoasted coconut, milk, and next 4 ingredients; stir well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Spoon into prepared pastry shell.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/4 tsp salt at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes). Spread meringue over filling, sealing to the edge of the pie crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 28 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top of pie. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and store in the refrigerator.