- 1/2 cup dried apricot, quartered
- 1 1/3 cups apple juice, unsweetened (or more)
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 cups apples, peeled, cored, cut into chunks (about 6 cups of mixed apples like Gala & Braeburn)
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine the apricots, 1 1/3 cups of apple juice, the vanilla bean, ginger & a pinch of salt, then cover & cook on a simmer for about 25 minutes, or until apricots are very tender.
- Add the apples & continue cooking, covered ~ & stirring occasionally ~ for another 25 minutes or until apples are very soft, adding additional juice, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
- The mixture is ready when it is thick & pulpy, with no liquid visible. If it is a little watery, boil it for a few minutes, uncovered, to evaporate the remaining liquid.
- Remove the vanilla bean & either puree the mixture in a food processor, or use a hand-held masher, blending to a somewhat chunky consistency.
- Cover & refrigerate until chilled before serving.