- 1/4 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 600 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup drained canned fruit
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar , extra
- Combine rice, sugar, milk in a saucepan; stir constantly over heat until mixture reaches boiling point.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting; cover and cook for about an hour, or until rice is tender and mixture is thick and creamy, stirring from time to time.
- Stir in vanilla essence.
- Spread rice mixture over base of an ovenproof dish (7-cup capacity)
- Top evenly with fruit.
- Beat egg whites in bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add extra sugar; continue beating until mixture is thick, shiny and glossy.
- Spoon meringue mixture into dish to completely cover fruit.
- Bake at 180C for about 20-30 mins, or until meringue is evenly browned.
- Serve warm with thin cream, if desired.