Vegan Sweet Potato Bread with Pumpkin Seeds 🧡🍞
70g cooked and peeled sweet potato
180g plant-based milk (I used @snappeafood), more if needed
300g bread flour
5g instant dried yeast
30g organic cane sugar (can reduce if preferred less sweet)
24g vegan butter
1 handful @organicule pumpkin seeds (more for topping)
1. Blend sweet potato and milk until smooth.
2. In your stand mixer bowl, add flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Whisk to combine.
3. Add sweet potato milk mixture into the flour mix. Using a dough hook, mix the dough for 3-4 minutes at speed 2 until a rough dough is formed. Depends on how moist your sweet potato is, add more flour or milk if needed to form a dough. It should be slightly sticky but not too wet.
4. Transfer the dough to a working surface, flatten it and add butter to the middle. Gather the edges to wrap it inside.
5. Put it back to the mixer, add pumpkin seeds and ontinue to knead the dough until a smooth dough is form. It should takes about 5 minutes or so.
6. Cover the dough and let it sit in a warm place to proof for 1 hour.
5. Punch (really hard!) to deflate the dough. Roll into a round ball then cover and let it rest for 15 minutes.
6. Using a rolling pin, roll it out to make an approx 2cm thick rectangle dough. Then, roll the dough width-wise into a log like swiss rolls. Then pinch both ends to seal them tightly.
7. Place the "log" into a greased baking tin, cover and let it prove for 1 hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 180c. Meanwhile, brush the dough with plant based milk and sprinkle some more pumpkin seeds on top. Press gently to get them stick to the dough nicely.
9. Bake for 15 minutes, rotate the tin half way through.
10. Remove the tin from the oven, let cool down for 10 minutes before removing the bread from the tin. Slice and enjoy!
Soft, pillowy and packed with this sweet fragrant and flavour from sweet potato, yum! It is slightly dense because I used real sweet potato puree here instead of powder.