Chinese Curry Chicken (vegan of course!) 🐔🍛https://www.facebook.com/100063501583683/videos/pcb.408239701302746/520513329452084
- 4-5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 thumb-sized ginger, minced finely
- 10 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 2 large red onion, minced finely
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 2 stalks curry leaves
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 small packets Baba's curry powder (50g)
- 200g frozen hericium mushrooms, blanched
- 2 large Russet potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (santan)
- 1 cup water to cook curry powder, more if needed
- 800ml water for cooking
- salt and sugar to taste
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp mushroom seasoning powder
1. In a wok, preheat vegetable oil over low heat. Add ginger and saute until aromatic.
2. Add onion and saute until translucent and lightly browned. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
3. Add star anise and cinnamon stick and saute until they release the flavor. *Add lemongrass and curry leaves at this point! I forgot in the video 😅
4. Then, add curry powder and saute until fragrant.
5. Add 1 cup water in 3-4 times to the curry powder. Each time, cook until it thickens before adding more. Cook until the oil separates.
*This step is crucial to remove the raw taste of curry powder.
6. Add hericium mushrooms, potato and water. Stir and bring to a boil.
7. Cover and let it simmer over medium heat for 20 mins. Stir occasionally and add water if needed to prevent the bottom from burning.
8. Cook until the potato is cooked. Turn off the heat, add coconut milk and season accordingly. Stir well and serve hot. Enjoy!