Popcorn Chicken? No. This is when cravings for popcorn chickens hits the gut. It’s a tasty rock.
- 1 Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 3 TB Flax seeds
- 250g Tempeh
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Bread Flour
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1-2 TB Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom (opt)
- Dash of Pepper
- Red Palm Oil (for frying)
- Pour sunflower seeds, rolled oats into a food processor or grinder till coarsely crushed.
- Pour into a bowl and add flax seeds. Mix well and set aside.
- Cut the Tempeh into bite sized chunks with dimensions about 3 x 1 x 1 cm. (any shape will do) Set aside.
- Into a mixing bowl, add Bread flour, water, soy sauce, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, mustard powder, cardamom and pepper (as much as you like) . Mix till a wet batter is formed. Add water if too sticky and dough-like; add flour if too watery.
- Into a saucepan, add enough red palm oil for frying and heat it until suitable temperature for deep frying.
- Meanwhile, pour all the tempeh into the batter for coating.
- Use a chopstick to pick the battered tempeh individually and coat them with the mix seeds.
- Place the coated tempeh into the oil for deep fry till golden brown. (the lighter the better for health)
- Best served with your favourite sauce. (e.g. sambal, sirarcha, thai sauce or guacamole).
- Psst! Feel free to adjust or adapt the recipe accordingly. Variation : Toss the Flying Tempehs in Curry spice blend and deep fried curry leaves.