- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups gumdrops, chopped (omit black ones)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped gumdrop
- Grease a 9x5 (2 L) loaf pan.
- Line with parchment paper, cutting to fit.
- In large bowl,beat sugar& butter until light& creamy,beat in the eggs,lemon rind& vanilla until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl,stir together flour,baking powder& salt.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with the milk until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in gumdrops& coconut until well combined.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake at 350 for 1-1 1/4 hrs.
- Or until tester in centre comes out clean.
- DON"T OVERBAKE.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Turn out and let cool on wire rack completely.
- Lemon Glaze: In small bowl,whisk icing sugar& lemon juice until smooth.
- Drizzle glaze evenly over top of the cake& sprinkle with the chopped gumdrops.
- Can be refrigerated loosely covered for up to 1 week.
- If you would like to store longer, freeze the cake UNWRAPPED, then wrap carefully& store in freezer up to three months.