- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 400 g semisweet chocolate or 400 g milk chocolate
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup corn syrup
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F Microwave chocolate, 1/2 cup of the sugar and the water in large bowl on HIGH 2 minute or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 minute
- Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- MIX flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and remaining 1-1/4 cups sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the milk, beating until well blended after each addition. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.BAKE 30 to 35 minute or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 min.; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Bring cream to a boil. Add in corn syrup and salt. Turn off heat, add chocolate in and stir till melted and smooth.
- Let cool till its the right consistency to frost.
- Take half the ganache and whip it till it turns light and thick.
- Place one cake layer down. Top with whipped ganache (save some ganache, dont use all of it). Top with 2nd cake layer and crumb coat the whole cake with a thin layer of whipped ganache. Place in fridge to set.
- After it is set, pour the other half of the ganache (unwhipped ganache) over the cake and let set inthe fridge.
- I suggest you remove the cake from the fridge about 30 minutes before serving or you are going to have a hard time cutting it and eating it.