- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease or line your muffin cups (12) - see not in recipe description.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix together the milk, egg and melted butter and then stir into the flour mixture until combined but still a bit lumpy - do not overmix - just 15-20 seconds.
- Evenly distribute between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Blueberry-Lemon Muffins~~Increase the sugar to 1/3 c and grate the zest of 1 lemon into the flour mixture. Add 1 cup blueberries with the milk mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Chocolate Chip Muffins~~Use light-brown sugar rather than granulated and add 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the flour mixture. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract with the milk mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cinnamon-Oatmeal Muffins~~Decrease the flour to 1 1/4 cups. Increase the sugar to 1/4 cup and add 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 c raisins to the flour. Bake as directed for 20-25 minutes.