- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Use a 9-10" tart pan with removable bottom or a shortbread mold. Spray with Pam. You can even use a regular baking pan, maybe 9 x 11 but you may have trouble removing the first couple of pieces.
- Place the flour and sugar in a food processor. Pulse. Add the cold butter and pulse only until it looks like fine sandy crumbs.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan with your fingers. Stab all over with a fork. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the shortbread only until just pale gold in the center, 25-30 minutes. Don't overbake; it will get very hard. Remove from oven.
- Heat the honey in the microwave until warm and liquid, about 10 seconds. Quickly pour the honey over the shortbread surface and spread evenly with a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle the salt evenly over the honey. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 3 minutes more.
- Transfer the pan to a rack and let the shortbread cool about 15 minutes. Cut while still warm into wedges or squares with a sharp knife. The cookies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week.