- 850 g fresh figs , chopped
- 400 g dried figs , chopped
- 3 large red onions , finely chopped
- 3 medium bramley apples
- 40 g fresh gingerroot , cut into fine matchsticks
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 pinch dried chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 700 g demerara sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 800 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and continue simmering for about an hour and a half, stirring often, until the chutney is reduced, thick and richly flavoured. If the chutney becomes too dry, add a splash of water. Taste and correct the seasoning, adding brown sugar, vinegar, or chilli flakes as needed. (Sometimes, depending on the water in the figs, this chutney can take over 2 hours to reduce.).
- Spoon into sterilised jars and seal. The chutney will keep for up to 8 or 9 months, unopened, in a cool, dark place. Once opened, refrigerate and use within 4 weeks.