- 1/4 cup crushed ice, plus
- 1/4 cup crushed ice
- 1 orange, very thinly sliced (or other citrus fruit and flowers that are relatively flat)
- Frozen peas, unopened bag (for weighting down inner bowl)
- You will also need: 2 nesting bowls, I use the largest I can.
- Place 1/4 cup crushed ice in the bottom of larger bowl.
- Place fruit slice over ice and put another 1/4 cup of ice over that.
- Place nesting bowl inside larger bowl and move to adjust it to the center as closely as you can.
- Put a small bag of frozen peas in smaller bowl.
- Tape the two bowls together in 3 places across the top.
- Add water to level slightly above bottom of inner bowl and freeze.
- Take out of freezer and add more decorations.
- Gently push thin fruit and/or flowers between the bowls.
- Sprinkle crushed ice between bowls to keep in place.
- Add more water and freeze again.
- Keep repeating Steps 8, 9, & 10 until you reach the top.
- After the bowl is frozen solid, remove from freezer and separate ice bowl from two bowls.
- Remove peas and tape and add warm water to smaller bowl, swirling around until bowl is lose enough to lift out.
- Remove smaller bowl and refreeze.
- When frozen solid again, remove bottom bowl in a similar fashion.
- When ice bowl is free, place back in freezer on top of plastic cling wrap, and cover lightly to protect.
- Let bowl freeze overnight or at least an hour before using.
- Place ice cream scoops for people to serve themselves, but keep in freezer until last minute to serve.
- Place bowl on "skid free" mat in a tray with a lip.
- Let guests serve themselves.