- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, sharp, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place eight 6-oz custard cups on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon 1 1/2 tsp of shortening into the bottom of each custard cup and set aside.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl, then gradually stir in the milk and water until well blended.
- Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Fold in the cheddar cheese.
- Place the baking sheet with the custard cups in the preheated oven for 3 to 5 minutes until the shortening melts and the custard cups are hot.
- Fill the custard cups 1/2 to 2/3rds full with the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, without opening the oven door until the popovers rise and turn golden brown.
- If not golden brown after 45 minutes, bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve piping hot.