- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon instant dashi stock (granules)
- 1 -2 tablespoon miso (i like a mix of about 4 parts red to 1 part white)
- 2 -3 tablespoons dried wakame seaweed (sea vegetable)
- 1/2 cup diced tofu (i like kinugoshi, silken tofu)
- 2 -4 tablespoons very thinly sliced green onions
- Place water and dashi granules in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until dashi is dissolved.
- Add wakame and simmer until wakame is rehydrated (about 3-5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, place tofu in 4 small bowls (preferably Japanese soup bowls that have lids).
- When wakame is tender, remove soup from heat. Place miso into a small, shallow bowl or dish and add a small amount of broth. Blend into the miso. Repeat until miso mixture is somewhat runny and well mixed with the broth.
- Add miso to soup and stir. Return to heat briefly just until very hot (do not boil miso).
- Pour over tofu in bowls, garnish with green onion, cover and serve immediately. Miso soup should be served very hot.