- 1 1/2 lbs red onions
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons earth balance margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, plus
- 2 -3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, if needed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Halve onions lengthwise and cut into thin slices.
- Heat butter in large heavy skillet set over medium heat.
- When melted and hot, add onions and sugar and stir occasionally until onions are soft and start to caramelize, 10 to 15 minute.
- Add wine and 1/4 cup vinegar and stir until mixture almost comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until liquids have evaporated and onion is shiny, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle in salt, adding more if needed.
- For tarter taste, stir in another 2 to 3 teaspoons vinegar.
- The marmalade can be prepared 5 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.
- Reheat, stirring, just to warm before using. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.