- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water , divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups flour
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water.
- Add sugar, salt, oil and remaining water; stir until dissolved.
- Add flour and stir until smooth. You may need a little extra flour to make a soft but non-sticky dough. Place in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled. Turn to lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each half into a 15 inch chain. (like you would roll playdough for making a snake.).
- Place both rolls on one greased cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- With very sharp knife, make 3 diagonal cuts across the top of each loaf.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool on wire racks.