- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking ammonia
- 1/4 cup coarse crystallized sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Beat together the sugar, butter, salt and vanilla.
- Add the flour and baker's ammonia and beat for up to 5 minutes, until the dough comes together. It will seem quite dry at first, but keep beating, eventually it will clump up and become cohesive.
- Break off pieces of dough about the size of a large gumball. Roll them into balls, then roll them in coarse sugar.
- Put them on the prepared baking sheets, and use the bottom of a glass to flatten them to about 1/4" thick.
- Bake the cookies for 25 to 30 minutes, until they are a very light golden brown around the edges.
- Remove them from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.